As we entered the month of November, the chaplaincy team invited the school community to send in the names of those who have passed so that they could be prayed for.
The chaplaincy team chose the items for the prayer area:
- Black cloth as black is a colour associated with death and the chaplains had seen people wearing black at funerals.
- A crucifix so that Jesus can watch over the departed.
- The Eternal Rest prayer which is said when someone dies.
- A card explaining about the significance of November and remembering the departed.
- A statue of Mary, Rosary beads and a statue of St Clare to offer support to those grieving.
- A candle as a sign of remembering someone – of “keeping the candle burning” – even though they have passed.
Every day, the prayer area is changed so that another set of names can be featured and prayed for.